The register of French people abroad is a point often overlooked, for two main reasons, we do not think about it, or we do not know how to do it ... Personally, I made the request 3 times, and it does not has never walked, so I give you the solution.
First of all, why register?
For this point, I quote the Embassy of France:
- Benefit from lighter procedures
- Receive information from the consular post, including SMS
- Facilitate the services delivered by the consulate: passport renewal, scholarship application, civil status, etc.
- Request the establishment or renewal of an identity card
- Request registration on the consular list of electors
- Identify youth aged 16 to 25 for Defense and Citizenship Day
Your registration will facilitate the consular post, the location of the French community and their enumeration and security will facilitate the implementation of the security plan and establishment.
How to register?
To register, two solutions:
1) Go to the embassy in Tana
Yes, I see you coming, I'm like you, neither the desire, nor the time to go to Tana just for that ... But for what are on Tana, it is a solution so I speak, for the others, the 2nd solutions will suit you better?
This return to the Consulate General of France in Tananarive, be careful, plan your schedules, only Monday to Friday from 7:30 to 10:00 on Appointment, and you have to make an appointment by phone, if you ask to make an appointment on site, you are asked to call!
So first of all, call 088 000 (premium rate number) from a fixed line or a mobile, or if you are in the province, contact the honorary consuls (Embassy of France in Madagascar), for Nosy Be, currently the consul is closed for an indefinite period, when he re-opens we will update
2) From the web
Directly from your computer, now we will see how you declare, but above all, It is worth scanning for yourself and your minor children, the following documents:
- Identity card or passport (valid or expired less than 2 years ago)
- Proof of residence in the consular district
- ID photo
- Rationale for national service status if you are between 18 and 25 years old (optional)
Do you have your documents? We can continue, so direction towards the French public services website
- Click on "create your account"
- Enter your information
- Go to the email address you entered, and confirm your registration
- You arrive on a page, click on "start my step"
- Fill in the requested information
- A problem with the postal code & INSEE code? I had the same, you will find the detail from the downloadable file on this page
- A problem with the nationality of the parents? French with a "ç", the box is sensitive ...
And here, the 5 steps of the forms are validated, the file is gone to the embassy, you will receive a confirmation email in the coming days.